mandag 19. november 2007

Those were the days...

Today we are back in Norway and Bergen, and the postcards shows the harbour and ships in the old days. At the time these pictures shows there was no planes and little roads and cars, so the sea was the option. On the first picture you can see the crowds that is travelling home from the city to the country (Sogn). Today many people still use the boat, but you have the option to fly or take the bus, that in many cases is a faster way to travel

On the other cards you see boats that was going to communities around Bergen, also to Askøy where I live. In those days it could to take hours to get there, today it take 20 minutes on motorways. On of these boats called “Alfen” that did go from Bergen to Askøy is today a restaurantship in Oslo, and many other of these boats are being restored to be still in use in the summer as tourist-attractions.

3 kommentarer:

Forever59er sa...

The post cards are indeed collectors' items. They're in black and white! Now you can have 'before and after' pictures of the ships.

I think you have such an interesting hobby that can contribute to the recording of history.

Changes in the wind sa...

Hi, I am new to your site. My grandparents immigrated to the USA from Norway so I really am enjoying seeing your postcards and pictures. Glad you did it in English:)

Changes in the wind sa...

Hi, I didn't see you comment right away so am slow to answer you. My grandfather was born in Tisldedalen, Norway and was known to be the son of a shop keeper in Oslo.
My grandmother was born in Sweden but when she was but yrs. she traveled to Oslo and went to work for some famous opera singers..Thorvold and Molly Lammers. My grandfather immigrated to the US in 1905 and my grandmother a few years later. I have many things of theres passed down to me from my mother and I cherish them.